Monday, February 6, 2012

4 Years of Law School has taught me:

Here I am 10 weeks from graduation! How many people can articulate what law school has taught them, how many people think law school didn't teach them shit, and how many people know how to expand on the knowledge they have acquired in law school?

I, for one, can think of a million ways law school has changed me. One of my earliest memories is of me sitting on my Barbie Big Wheel at the end of our very long driveway, staring at the clouds in the sky, deep in thought. For a four year old child this is odd but it was my favorite thing to do. All throughout life I have had a spot in my home where I could sit for HOURS and reflect about life. Human behavior, habits, customs, traditions, and instincts are utterly fascinating phenomena to me. It is easy for me to study behavior for hours and hours and become totally lost in my ideas. Philosophy, sociology, all good areas of study for me because they feed my hunger for understanding. "The Practice of Law is the PRACTICE OF PEOPLE." To succeed you must be able to relate to, empathize with and mind fuck people. This I can do, happily.

Law School has helped me organize my thoughts, come up with logical explanations that are backed by facts, and it has taught me to see both sides of every story. Frequently, friends and family come to me for my opinion* about legal issues and I have to literally "talk it out" but once I do--I usually come up with a pretty good analysis of the issue. That makes me VERY proud because like I've said before I am plagued by a poor self image.

Law school has turned me into a human lie detector machine. If a story does not make sense I already know someone is not being honest with me. Which is a powerful intuition to have- it makes putting a story together much easier. You can tell where the holes are in a story and you just probe the person to get the truth. I don't think anyone would be able to pull one over on me.

LAW SCHOOL HAS CURED ME OF MY FEAR OF PUBLIC SPEAKING!!!!!!! You know people's two biggest fears are (a) death and (b) speaking in public, so this is quite an accomplishment.

Lawyers, court, clients are all what I am naturally drawn to. I may be one of the few people who has a genuine love of the law and people. I am passionate about what I do. Life is death if you don't have anything to be passionate about. I am truly blessed. NAMASTE BITCHES ;)

*DISCLAIMER: I do not give legal advice--I am not licensed to practice law, YET!

1 comment:

NK said...

Congratulations! Very few people are so sure of themselves. So for you to have been able to go from 'poor self image' to be where you are, it is indeed a remarkable journey!

Namaste.
N